Depending on the type of anesthesia you receive, a nurse from Pre-Admission Testing may call you prior to your surgery day. The nurse will obtain a list of your current medications and will discuss your medical history. If a nurse does not call you, this information will be obtained from you on the date of your surgery.
The anesthesia department and your surgeon will determine if any lab work is required prior to your surgery. Any lab work performed in the last 30 days can be faxed to (423) 622-8993. Otherwise, it will be obtained the day of your surgery.
An EKG (electrocardiogram) may be required on the day of your surgery. If an EKG was performed in the last 6 months you can also fax to (423) 622-8993.
- Any changes in your health (even minor ones such as a cold or cough) should be reported to your surgeon prior to your surgery date.
- If you suspect that you are pregnant, please notify your surgeon prior to your surgery date.
- Refrain from smoking after midnight the day of your surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything (including water, gum, mints) after midnight the day of surgery.
- Bathe or shower and brush your teeth (taking care not to swallow any water) the morning of surgery.
- Remove all makeup, nail polish and contacts. If you must wear contacts, please bring your storage case for use during surgery. Leave all jewelry, cash and valuables at home.
- Arrange for a responsible adult (minimum age of 18) to accompany you to the center, receive discharge instructions, drive you home and stay with you for the first night following surgery.
- Limit the number of people who accompany you to the center. We suggest that adult patients be accompanied by only one person. We do welcome both parents of pediatric patients. It would be better if siblings did not visit due to lack of entertainment at the center.
- Bring all insurance cards and another form of ID such as a Driver's License. It is important for us to have all the current and correct information. As a courtesy to you, we will submit your claim to the insurance company.